Monday, January 23, 2012

Good News / Bad News - Picnik is Closing

(Cross posted to Because I'm Me, no you're not experiencing deja vu.) 

FB profile pic, from Picnik
If you've ever used Picnik to edit photos you know how awesome all their tools are, and have seen the wonderful things that can be done on their site with a photo. A lot of it could be done for FREE. FREE collages, free frames, free text added in all sorts of awesome fonts. I love Picnik.

The bad news is that Picnik is closing.

An e-mail was sent out Saturday saying, "Since joining Google in 2010, we have been creating editing magic in Google products while continuing to keep Picnik awesome. But now we get to focus on even awesomer things. Picnik will be closing on April 19, 2012."

I don't know what the "awesomer things" are but I'm happy for them, and so so so sad for me. If you know of a comparable photo editing site please let me know. The e-mail from Picnik goes on to state, "We are excited by the photo-editing fun we have already brought to Google products, like Google+, where you can find many of your favorite Picnik effects in Creative Kit. We encourage you to visit Google+ and give it a whirl." Has anyone tried Creative Kit? If you know of another comparable photo editing site please let me know.

The good news, and the reason I'm sharing this, is that Picnik's premium services are FREE FOR ALL until they close on April 19, 2012. Folks, there's some fun stuff to play with there. I plan to spend the next three months colorizing, decorating, framing, doodling, skewing, collaging, and whatever else I can until my images bear no resemblance to their former selves. Well, maybe not that much, but I will be making some collages for Because I'm Me merchandise, and a back stock of banners for blogs, websites, and Etsy.

Also, if you are a Picnik premium member you'll be getting a full refund of your annual fee, whether you signed up last week or eleven months ago.

I'd love for you to link to some of your photo creations in the comments.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...